Vintage D&D Ad (1980)

D&D Ad Overalls

Awesome, but what does it mean? He’s going home to play D&D by himself because the other kids are total dicks? You can’t DM yourself, buddy. I tried it, believe me. And the Basic Set had only one very short solo adventure.

7 Responses to “Vintage D&D Ad (1980)”

1. 1 leftylimbo March 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Woohoo. Overalls. Totally strapped up, even. There’s something that I don’t think is ever coming back. Can’t speak too soon though.

Dang, lookit that total chain mail going on. Crazy. Reminds me of this dood I met at the Renaissance Faire a few years ago (yes, we went once to check it out, very interesting indeed). He was dressed in full English Archer gear from a very specific time in the Elizabethan period (he even named the short span of years he represented). When I asked him about the people doing what appeared to be some kind of formal royal dance on the grassy field nearby, he said they represented an era many years later than his. Trippy mix, but very serious folks.

2. 2 2W2N March 9, 2012 at 6:55 am

Didn’t the girls used to wear overalls, but with only one side snapped? Or something?

3. 3 leftylimbo March 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Here’s my take on overalls. In the ’70s, people wore ’em as is. Both sides snapped up.

In the ’80s, Guess™ made overalls in ’83–’84, which became a huge fad in my junior high. But the “cool” thing to do was snap the straps but not wear them up on the shoulders, but rather, dangling around the waist. To have that entire front panel flopped down inside-out over one’s crotch looked better on some than others, but that’s the way it was. And yes, there was a variant where people snapped one side up.

4. 4 2W2N March 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Yes, yes, yes. Thank you. I’m not sure if that ever hit my class very hard, but I remember seeing it, and I remember a certain segment obsessed with Guess (watches too–I guess Swatch was also about this time as well). In early elementary school it was breakdancing and parachute pants. Then I drifted into skate/punk stuff, although there was a Genera push my freshman year of high school. I don’t think I’ve worn anything but Vans since 6th or 7th grade.

5. 6 lithicbee November 11, 2012 at 5:32 am

Oh man, that boxed set of D&D minis. This made me remember my older brother had one of these and I, six years younger, used to love to play with them. They were probably still lead then. I’m sure that I wasn’t azfekted atoll by playning with dem.

6. 7 2W2N November 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Man, did I want to fondle those minis…