The Renegades (1983) Was a Real Show on TV and I Can Prove It

Renegades Ad 2-26-1983

Renegades Ad 1983

Starring Patrick Swayze as Bandit!

Randy Brooks as Eagle!

Paul Mones as J.T.!

Tracy Scoggins as… uh… Tracy!

Robert Thaler as Dancer!

Brian Tochi as Dragon!

Fausto Bara as Gaucho!

And the dad from That ’70s Show (Kurtwood Smith) as Captain Scanlon!

The Renegades originally aired as a TV movie in August of  ’82. It was spun off as a series in March of 1983 and lasted for six episodes only. It’s a Mod Squad (1968 – 1973) reboot, but without the social conscience or hip vibe that made the first show so awesome. The premise was tweaked again, with better results, for 21 Jump Street (1987 – 1991).

Here’s the Renegades intro. Pay special attention to Scoggins’ dramatic head turn,  ‘Dancer’ running his hand through his feathered hair, and the uncomfortably long time the renegades stand staring at the cops. The music rules.

7 Responses to “<em>The Renegades</em> (1983) Was a Real Show on TV and I Can Prove It”

1. 1 Jason July 23, 2013 at 2:35 pm

My favorite part was the random birds obviously chucked into the background from off-camera at 1:38.

2. 2 2W2N July 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm

HA. I didn’t even see that. If you’re going to chuck birds in the air, maybe use less fog machine?

3. 3 Jason July 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Judging from the trailer, they saved money on sets by using mostly fog machine. Also, this was linked from Wikipedia, though I’ll have to wait until I get home from work to watch to it with sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkztGA_Oln0&feature=related

4. 4 2W2N July 23, 2013 at 4:31 pm

The first part was all I could get through. Let me know if you make it any further.

5. 5 Jason July 24, 2013 at 12:13 am

Yeah. On second thought, I might have better things to do with my life…

6. 6 christian July 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Totally Awesome and Radical.

1. 1 1984 Daisy Toys Catalog: The A-Team and Hardcastle and McCormick Toy Guns | 2 Warps to Neptune Trackback on September 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm