Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Character Sheet, Circa 1982

AD&D Character 1981

AD&D Character 1981-2

Meet Grimlin. He’s a level 13 lawful good Elf Lord with a passable 1,900 hit points and 1,500,000 experience points. Trey tells the epic tale at his blog, From the Sorcerer’s Skull, and has a separate post about his cousin’s old school dungeon map, which contains a tower filled with “vestal virgins & such.”

There’s a lot to love about Grimlin and his myriad possessions (and “henchmen”), and everyone is going to have a favorite bit. For me, it’s the parenthetical four words under experience points on the bottom right of the second page: “(has been to college)“!

Send it all to PlaGMaDA, Trey! Grimlin deserves nothing less than immortality (although, honestly, he’s pretty much there already).

10 Responses to “<em>Advanced Dungeons & Dragons</em> Character Sheet, Circa 1982”

1. 1 welshpiper February 24, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I can’t decide if it’s the “Psionics: All of Everything” or the Rod of Asmodeus in the hands of a LG character.

• 2 2W2N February 24, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Or the unicorn avatar?

• 3 welshpiper February 24, 2015 at 6:18 pm

At first blush, I would have chalked that up to Legend, but that was 1985… Then I noticed Grimlin has a pegasus *and* a medusa’s head. Clash of the Titans came out in 1981…Does Grimlin = Hamlin?

• 4 2W2N February 24, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Actually, he says Grimlin was inspired by the creature in folklore (this is pre-Gremlins the movie) and the character himself was inspired by Endless Quest book Mountain of Mirrors. That puts the year at 1982, so I’ll correct post title.

And yes, there’s definitely a COTT tie-in.

2. 5 narvo February 24, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Ahhh…now this is what I’ve been waiting for. 1981 returns for me. Visions of my buddies pulling out and sorting their character sheets from their Jansport (navy blue…ALWAYS navy blue) backpacks for a quick session at recess. The only thing missing—and I wonder why—is the character rendition/drawing! He did a great job on the little unicorn head in the symbol…

• 6 2W2N February 24, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Unlike you, some of us just did not have the talent for illustration. I usually went with a symbol, knowing my limitations. The absolute worst was and is my friend J. Even his swords were unrecognizable as such. I actually had a t-shirt made of a drawing he did of a squirrel for a Pictionary game. Gloriously awful!

3. 9 1537 February 25, 2015 at 9:09 pm

I hid all mine in my portable hole.