Christmas Morning, 1978: Everything! (Part One)

Mikey Christmas 1978

Are you serious? There’s an entire layer of toys that’s covered by other toys!

The Spider-Man comic on the right, underneath the Death Star, is Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #27, a Bronze Age key. It marks the first time Frank Miller drew Daredevil.

The ship on the left, above the Radio-Control Racer, is a Star Bird Avenger. Right next to it is the Star Bird Command Base, seen below via John Kenneth Muir.

Star Bird Command Base

The red box under the tree is Tin Can Alley, a shooting game from Ideal. The rifle emitted a light pulse that, if aimed correctly, would knock over the cans on the “range.”

(First image via WEBmikey/Flickr)

(Video via tvdays/YouTube)

7 Responses to “Christmas Morning, 1978: Everything! (Part One)”

1. 1 leftylimbo December 26, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Good heavens man, that’s some serious loot. I wanna know what the heck that boat thing is below the Radio Control Racer. Some kinda weird freighter of some sort?

2. 2 leftylimbo December 26, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Btw, I vaguely remember that Star Bird Command Base. That would’ve been the perfect home for my bird, of course, but I think at the time it was just too expensive for my folks. Well at least the base defined the actual scale of the spacecraft (I constantly wondered if the interceptors were manned, which would’ve made a huge difference).

Being a big stickler for proportions even at a wee age, I never included the Star Bird in my Star Wars toy sagas, and rather just let it fly alone in its own universe. Got pretty lonely at times.

3. 3 WEBmikey January 6, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Thanks for the post! I’m actually the kid in the picture, and that was a great Christmas!

4. 4 2W2N January 7, 2013 at 4:41 am

Thanks for posting the photo! It’s priceless. I find myself yearning for those Battlestar Galactica jigsaw puzzles more than anything…

Okay, I lied. I want that Death Star.

5. 5 leftylimbo January 7, 2013 at 6:53 am

WEBmikey, thanks for dropping by! I’m wondering what that box is behind the Command Base. It looks like a huge, epic box/toy of some sort. Do you remember what it was? And what about that boat?

6. 6 WEBmikey January 7, 2013 at 12:21 pm

The huge, epic toy you’re wondering about is Milton Bradley Laser Attack, a really cool electronic board game with an awesome enemy station in the middle! I really don’t remember the boat, but the box seems to say “creative construction toy” on it and it kind of matches the truck next to it, so they were probably LEGO-style sets. Thanks again for enjoying this photo!

1. 1 Christmas Morning, 1978: Everything! (Part Two) | 2 Warps to Neptune Trackback on December 18, 2013 at 4:00 pm