Grocery Shopping in the ’70s: What the Fuck is Tofu?

Schnucks 1980

Schnucks 1980-2

Grocery Store 1981

Above all else, the paper bags in their built-to-fit paper bag compartments!

There’s a Wildlife Encyclopedia display (knowledge at your fingertips, only 49¢/month) behind the lady who’s, wait for it, writing a check. (My mom used to get so pissed at the idiots who wouldn’t take out their checkbooks until they got to the front of the line.)

And don’t forget to grab some sunglasses on your way back from the Cosmetics department—they’re 15% off.

(Photos via Gregg Koenig/Flickr)

6 Responses to “Grocery Shopping in the ’70s: What the Fuck is Tofu?”

1. 1 Anon June 1, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Everything is so brown and orange and there is fake wood paneling around the registers…are you sure this is the 70’s?

2. 2 2W2N June 1, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Ha. It’s a Schnucks supermarket (Midwest chain) in 1980.

3. 3 Anon June 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Well I was still forced to wear brown corduroy pants in the early 80’s, so it is fine they didn’t get the memo yet.

4. 4 leftylimbo June 2, 2013 at 9:03 am

lol, Schnucks? Somehow that name for a grocery store makes me laugh, but at the same time I can’t stop saying it. Definitely sticks.

5. 5 leftylimbo June 2, 2013 at 9:07 am

Aw man, lookit that whole section of Hungry Man TV dinners. In the summer of the early ’80s I used to live on the generic versions of those Salisbury steak dinners. I still remember how they smelled totally artificial when I peeled away that steaming hot plastic liner when I fetched them fresh from the microwave. I never ate that cranberry sauce stuff that came with it.

6. 6 Steve March 20, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Checks slowing you down in the 1970s?
    Now… In the FUTURE; the 21st century (echo, echo,echo)… We have modern digital payment systems… Which always seem to take about four times as long as cash.